Sunday, July 11, 2010

What's in the garden


Wow a week goes by in a hurry!

This morning I took some quiet time with Luke10:25-37 and the parable of the good Samaritan.
The question that the lawyer asked got me to thinking."Who is my neighbor?"
My mind wandered in several directions for a while.
But it settled in on the way we humans look at and treat our neighbors.

A while back I was thinking about the many cultures, races and creeds that occupy our planet. It occurred to me that we Humans tend to organize our lives much like our gardens. The peas are in one spot, the carrots in another and so on. Weeds of course have no place in the "garden". There are no exceptions. I look at humanity and see the similarity: a tendency to segregate by race, color, creed and so on.
Each is assigned a place and each is except-able in their place. Some aren't allowed in at all.

What is it about us that makes us react in this manner to differences and where will Jesus' message finally come to really make a difference in the way humanity thinks and functions toward neighbor?

Today I am thinking about the many bias' that make up who I am.

I don't think I'm going to like what I'm going to discover. But it wouldn't be a journey if I didn't go to those places as well as the pleasant places.

5 comments:

  1. Oh that is for sure bro, it's the unpleasant questions that can make the biggest difference to who we become. Love what you wrote and the comparison to gardens is so right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francois ...my personal experience about not looking into "serious" questions...When I do...this is usually a place of great growth....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Amen friends.
    It's like Buckley's mixture for colds.
    It tastes awe-full but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yuck Buckley's I have had some of that and yes your right it does taste awe-full but sometimes it has to be taken more then ones to work. Maybe my taste buds are not as good as my smeller...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I am in the middle of some deep looking and I don't like what I see. Thanks be to God that he loves me and accepts me as I am, otherwise I would continue to run from the looking.

    ReplyDelete